What to do before your lesson starts
We take great pride in being recognized as having the friendliest, supportive, and welcoming coaches online. This is why we prioritize welcoming and supporting students in everything we do, beginning with the moment they join all the way to their destination in reaching fluency.
As we say, when in doubt: smile
1. Greet Your New Student
This is where it all begins! Your first encounter with your student will set the foundation of the relationship moving forward. Remember, first impressions last!
We ask all coaches to send:
1. A greeting email for all students we introduce you to (see image below) to welcome them into Rype, and add any personal/thoughtful message you’d like.
2. Send them a greeting email before the lesson (we recommend 3-5 hours before the lesson or the day before if your lesson is early in the morning)
*This applies for the first trial lesson, and you won’t need to send them a reminder for recurring lessons thereafter because our system will send them automatic reminders for you.
2. Review your feedback document (Preparation)
After each session, you are required to send your students their feedback document which will list:
- 1. Mistakes/errors made during session
- 2. New vocabulary/grammar/concepts learned during session
- 3. Follow-up assignments and further reading to complete before next session
We recommend being prepared by having this template open as you will need to record the mistakes and new materials learnt while you are having your session.
*Keep in mind, the first free trial session will not require sending students their feedback. It’s only when they become your official students when you’ll send them their documents
*This document is in view-only mode. You need to go to File –> Make a Copy in order to duplicate your own copy.
3. a) PREPARE YOUR LESSON
You will need to prepare your lessons ahead of time to make sure there are creative activities you can do with the student, including easy-to-follow structure to maximize the student's experience.
While we leave it up to you to prepare these creative activities, some tasks beforehand may include:
-finding articles or guides online to review
-tasks or assignments you can do during the lesson
-specific questions or games you can play
-songs or videos that's relevant
b) REFER TO THE STUDENT PERSONALIZATION DOCUMENT
When a student joins Rype, they're asked to fill out their language profile where we understand their goals, needs, and proficiency. You can refer to this document before your first lesson to learn much more about the student in order to deliver a fully personalized experience.
4. MAKE SURE YOUR AUDIO & VIDEO IS PROPERLY SET-UP
Since your lesson experience will be held using Skype, make sure your:
- Audio is set-up (and that you’re using a proper mic without static)
- You’re in a quiet space without any background noise or others around you
- Video quality is optimized (with optimal lighting)
- Video background is professional
*We ask you to avoid dark spaces, and to have light facing you so students can properly see you.
If you have any more questions, suggestions, or feedback, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org